rss
email
twitter
facebook

Monday, July 12, 2010

Finding a Church Home


The following is some advice I recently gave to a college Freshman looking for a church home in a new town.

I remember walking into a Starbucks for the very first time on my own to order a drink. My wife, being a Starbucks vet and fluent in the lingo would always order for me. This time, however, I stood alone before a bunch of completely foreign words and had no idea what to choose. The person in front of me ordered a Caramel Frappachino so I decided to do the same. I quickly realized that it was completely different from what my wife always ordered for me. I hesitated to even try it because it was so unusual to me, however, after the first sip I knew that this was my new all time favorite drink. Finding a new church is somewhat similar to my Starbucks experience. Most likely, your parents or girlfriend have always chosen a church for you. Now, however, you get to decide where you attend. So many college students don’t attend church because they haven’t found the “perfect church.” Let me reassure you that there is no such thing as the perfect church. I encourage you, in the midst of your church hopping, to eventually settle on the essentials. What are 3 areas of a church that are non-negotiable for you? This could be biblical depth, worship, and community. You don’t need to find the perfect church, you just need find the best church for you. Remember, a church may seem odd to you, but after your first visit, you may realize that it’s the one you’ve been waiting for. Also, don't just choose a church that serves you, but choose a church where you can see yourself serving others.

0 comments: