rss
email
twitter
facebook

Monday, May 3, 2010

Passion - More For Suns or Jesus?

The second round of the playoffs begins tonight for my beloved Phoenix Suns. I've been a Suns for as long as I can remember. I was born in Phoenix and think it may have started on that July 17th in 1979.

I'll admit, I get a little school-boy gitty when the Suns are in the playoffs and I become borderline addicted to ESPN and TNT. If you've seen the movie Fever Pitch with Jimmy Fallon, then you have an idea of how ridiculous I can become when cheering on the Suns. It's actually a little difficult for me because my personality and excitement for the Suns do clash quite a bit. I'm a very low-key guy who hardly ever gets excited about anything.

This when a lot of people hit me with a...you should be as passionate about Jesus as you are with the Suns. You know, that statement is probably right. I'd have to say that I'm more passionate about Jesus than I am about the Suns, however, I display that passion completely differently.

If I acted out my passion toward Jesus the same way I do about the Suns, people would think I was a freak, and don't mean in a good "Jesus Freak" DC Talk kind of way. Why do I need to root for Jesus? He's already won. Why do I need to watch documentaries about his life, study stats of his disciples, and read blogs about what he might do in the off-season? That's just flat out weird.

I rather love people generously, worship God modestly, and spend time in His word discretely, than jump off the couch screaming "yeah baby" because I know that He has forgiven me. I love the Suns, but they have never loved me back. Jesus actually loved me first and continues to love me back everyday, so I don't need to cheer him on hoping that someday he will.

If you're not a Suns fan, maybe this video will inspire you to become one.

0 comments: